Monday, May 18, 2015

The Wolf that you Feed

 
Perhaps one of the most valuable lessons I ever learned from one of my Native American teachers, was the importance of maintaining a positive attitude, despite anything occurring in life, or in the world around me.

This is a universal, spiritual concept that many people have trouble putting into practice.  Recently, someone asked how I worked at maintaining such a positive outlook, and I referenced the story of the battle of the two wolves.  After I related it, I was surprised to learn that they had never heard the tale, so I'm posting it here for any readers not familiar with it.

There are many versions of the short piece, most often it is related as coming from a Cherokee elder, but I have no idea what the true origins of the story are.

One evening, a Cherokee elder told his grandson that there is a battle that goes on inside every person:

"My son, inside each of us, there is a battle taking place between two wolves.

One is evil.  This wolf is anger, jealousy, self-pity, resentment, envy, sorrow, and all the negative feelings.

The other wolf is love, peace, serenity, compassion, generosity, kindness and all the positive emotions.

The grandson thought on this for a few moments, than asked the elder,  "which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The wolf that you feed."

It's a simple, yet beautiful lesson.  The wolf you chose to focus on, will dictate the nature of your day to day life.  Feed the negative wolf, and be an angry, bitter, miserable person.  Feed the positive wolf, and be a happy, balanced person who finds enjoyment in each day.

Remember, you're the only one who can feed your wolf.  Which one do you choose?






No comments:

Post a Comment